X4mr asked for my input regarding the STRIVE Act
I haven't finished reading the legislation and have tried to not spoil my opinions by reading other's impressions first, but from what I have read so far, it mirrors many of the complaints that I had with the previous McCain-Kennedy Bill. Again, keep in mind that these are early impressions:
1. I am immediately suspicious about any Bill title that forms a cute acronym.
2. It appears that many of the enforcement provisions sunset after 2012.
3. Many of the enforcement provisions look like Homeland Security type pork projects.
4. The enforcement provisions look to be indirectly mandated (somebody will develop a plan. . .) while the amnesty clauses (let's just be honest, that is what much of this is) are hard coded law, effective almost immediately. Although it has been told to me that there are actually benchmarks involved for enforcement. I have not yet run into them.
5. I like a lot of the employer enforcement provisions, although I do not understand the phased enforcement. A law is a law is a law, no matter what sized company you are. Tax laws aren't "phased in."
6. I do not understand all of the rush to citizenship available for illegals. It has been my experience that this is not what a majority of illegal workers want. They want work visas and then the ability to return home. This being the case, stop trying to push citizenship to illegals. You need to work on the visa system first, get that straightened out along with enforcement, THEN we will talk about citizenship.
7. Not enough about skilled workers from non South American countries. If we increase visas, these people need to be looked at strongly as well.
8. Too much mandated negotiation with Mexico. We are allowed to make law without their input.
9. Comprehensive immigration reform is a crock. Bundling all the aspects involved does not make for better law. In fact, Framer's second law of politics states that "the quality of a law is inversely proportional to number of pages in which it is contained." Want to clean up Congress? Force the body of all bills save the budget to be contained on two pages, single spaced with size 12 font.
10. The conference committee will gut all enforcement provisions that will make a difference.
I will give a better review once I have read the entire bill, but I am not impressed with anything save the employer enforcement to this point.