Sunday, January 07, 2007

Quiet Border Incursion

My blog was kind of cluttered, so I was waiting on somebody else to report on this, but I haven't seen anything in any of the other local blogs.

It appears that some of our National Guardsmen were attacked on the Mexico-Arizona border on Wednesday night.

According to the Border Patrol, an unknown number of gunmen attacked the site in the state's West Desert Region around 11 p.m. The site is manned by National Guardsmen. Those guardsmen were forced to retreat

The Border Patrol will not say whether shots were fired. However, no Guardsmen were injured in the incident.

Obviously, getting those men and women out of harm's way was the correct thing to do, especially if they were under fire. There ought to be, however, severe penalties for firing on American soldiers, perhaps something along the lines of air support and live ordinance.

These types of reports are getting more and more common, and I do not believe they are addressed in any of the current comprehensive immigration plans that I have seen on the table. . .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I posted about this at my place as well, and I think I may be a little more aggressive than Roger. I'm no Randy Graf or Michael Savage, but it's our border. They should have the means to hold their ground, the equipment to know what is happening, and if they are attacked, they should have full license to protect themselves.

My view on this thing, for what it's worth, is that the first step is dramatically increasing awareness. Let's use technology to get a strong sense of what is actually happening.

By the way, this post at Subtopia was pretty fascinating.

Framer said...

x4mr,

I apologize you did post on this. It looks like I was pulling up a cached version of your page and didn't see your post.

It's also nice to see that we agree on this issue. National Guard security should be locked and loaded, not tasked to vehicle maintainance.

There was that Weekly article last year that documented other incursions like this one. I have a feeling that this type of thing happens much more than we would like to believe, and yet it still appears not to be taken seriously.

Anonymous said...

Framer,

No apology required, and I do think we are closer as opposed to farther on this one. Frankly, I think a pussy border is no border. Who's kidding who? We put people on point with instructions to flee if approached? That's not a border.

It's a real mess. The economic reality is that folks are crossing we want to cross, and the other reality is that folks are crossing we do not want to cross.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that the first step is clarity. Let's put in place what tells us what's really going on. Who, really, is coming across to do what?

Frankly, I don't give a shit about marijuana or people coming across to pick lettuce. My concern is the exposure to something far more damaging.